Saturday, October 15, 2005

Free Software - why would you pay?


I've always been a fan of free software. Since the inception of the internet, downloading shareware, and better yet, freeware has been hugely popular. However, replacing Microsoft Office with one of it's free rivals did not seem practical... until now. The latest release candidate of OpenOffice rocks! I quickly tested out all of the programs, and except for the database (Base), the other programs are just as good or better than their Microsoft counterparts. Impress (Powerpoint), Writer (Word), and Calc (Excel) meet all of my needs so far. I have have imported MS files into them with no problems at all (and done the opposite). By the way, Writer can save documents as Adobe PDF files, something Word doesn't do. So here are your options: buy Microsoft Office 2003 for $500 or download OpenOffice for FREE. Hmm. http://www.openoffice.org.

On the subject of free software. How about a free Adobe Photoshop ($600)? The GIMP is a high learning curve program that can almost replace Photoshop. In fact, there is a hacker who has hacked the GIMP interface to very closely resemble Adobe Photoshop. It's called GIMPshop. The windows version is not quite ready yet, but get ready, because it's gonna rock, and oh yeah, it's FREE. http://www.plasticbugs.com/

4 Comments:

At 8:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I recently started using OpenOffice... So far I'm liking it a lot better than MSOffice.

I'm glad you and the guys made it back from Japan safely and had a good trip. Acappella's music is such a blessing to me! :)

Take Care~
Amy (from Ohio)

 
At 4:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

When the windows version is ready, how will we know? Will you post info?

 
At 10:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is it open source? or how is it free? I'll hafta check it out. I'm still using office 97 haha. The PDF thing is cool though. Now they just need to make something that will convert PDF files to something Finale can use. I'll check it.

 
At 4:45 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gee - as someone who is still paying off my student loans and makes his living writing software (and having it actually earn money) - I am always amused to see that people still believe that there is a field in engineering in which people think they shouldn't have to pay. I wish you all did your jobs for free. :-)

Maybe I could get my doctor, lawyer, accountant, barber, grocer, minister to do all their jobs for nothing and then we wouldn't have to work or pay for anything. How grand!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home